Fall Movie Review

Hi!  I have to say the fall line of movies has been pretty pathetic and fall is just the time when people have time to watch movies.  Not sure what Hollywood is thinking.  Sure there were a ton of releases that were slasher based scary movies, but to be honest I have no desire to watch any of these type of movies.  I mean why would I pay good money to be terrified.  If I want to be scared, all I have to do is turn on the news and see all the crazy things going on in the world right now.  The children and I did go see a few movies in the last couple of movies, but none of them were anything to write home about.  We saw The Little Vampire which is based off a German Cartoon series,  The Happy Family, and Cars 3 which was probably the best of the 3. I wonder when Disney is going to release it's next big movie.  We are hoping to go see Padington 2 in the next week or so and hope it has a good story storyline.  What have I been watching?  I finally got to see Glass Castle.  The movie does a pretty good job of matching the book though to be honest I think the book is better than the movie.  Woody Harrelson and Naomi Watts do a perfect job in portraying the slightly crazy eclectic parents of the main character Jeannette played by Brie Larson and Chandler Head. This story is based on the true story of Jeannette Walls.  I really enjoyed the book as I could slightly relate with the similarities of my own life.  Those who have lived a more bread and butter type of life won't believe some of the trials these children endured and bordered close to if not child abuse. This movie while no longer at the box office is worth renting on DVD or streaming.  


Our Souls at Night reunites Robert Redford and Jane Fonda after close to 40 years since their last movie together.  It was well worth the wait!  The story is about two widowers who are both lonely after having lost their spouses.  Jane knocks on the door of Redford proposing the two sleep together.  Redford taken back by the idea does not know what to thing, but Jane explains it isn't what he thinks she literally meant to sleep together in the same bed but not referring to the sexual act of sleeping together.  She explains she has a hard time sleeping at night because she is all alone.  After giving it some thought Redford agrees and the two form a friendship that is sweet and touching.  This movie addresses the loneliness of growing old.  This movie can be found on Netflix or Amazon Prime.


The last movie I watched was a movie titled The Wizards of Lies.  Brilliantly acted by Robert Deniro and Michelle Pfipher.  The movie is adopted fro the book of same title written by Diana B. Henriques based on the life of Bernie Madoff.  While having followed the story somewhat through the news, it was interesting to see how Bernie got away with hiding his ponzi scheme.  So devastating for those who were swindled and for his family members left in his wake of lies and deception.  I honestly believe they had no idea of what he was doing.  I think Bernie was a master or as this movie titles him the Wizard of all lies and even if they may had a clue I could see it hard for them to other wise believe Bernie could do such a thing.  He deserved all the prison time he got because he absolutely had no remorse for what he did and he went so far as to blame the own victims for their own stupidity for investing with him.  He has to be a narcissist.



Have you seen any good movies recently?  Are you going to the movies this weekend or are you out shopping the Black Friday sales?  I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving.  We had to hold off our celebration till Saturday because it isn't a holiday here in Germany and the kids had a full program.  Grateful for our old friends who now live in Utah , who kidnapped our son, allowing him to join them for Thanksgiving, so that he wouldn't have to spend it alone.  Have a great weekend!


Comments

I loved the book Glass Castle..did see the Jane Fonda and RRedford movie..but I had read an IDENTICAL book..I don't think it was the name of the movie though..

Have not seen the new RDN one.. we don't go to movies..we wait until the Movie Network has them..etc..
I do want to see Wonder though:) Just read the amazing book.
I liked The Glass Castle as well. I've also seen Murder on the Orient Express, which I thought was fun, and Wonder - too much melodrama for me, though the whole theater was weeping and loving it. But all in all I agree - I also look to the fall for more grown-up and thoughtful films and this year's crop is quite disappointing.
Amalia
xo

Popular Posts