Test Kitchen



Today cooler temperatures rolled in and I am loving it though I am not sure if they are here to stay but I will be grateful just the same. The house is quiet as Roman is in his room reading the new Diary of The Wimpy Kid book, the older boys are still at school, and the girls are at Ballet. I need to go fold laundry, but I don't want to as it never seems to end.  I will get to it though as I always do, and I really need to make a sweep through the house to get rid of stuff we are using. I am starting to feel like the walls are closing in on us which is pretty ridiculous given the size of my house; however, I emptied out my dresser which was good start.  Ivy started day care this week and is really loving it, and so am I as it gives me the time to run my errands and clean up the house before the kids come home.  Today I tested out a new recipe and I think it is going to win a place on our Thanksgiving table.  I would say 18 years out of the soon to be 20 years of being married we had the standard Thanksgiving meal of turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, rolls, and a few pies was our menu; however, last year I came to the conclusion that it was OK to switch things up and the results were wonderful. Have you ever tried farro?  It is a grain similar to rice but chewy and more flavorful.  It will take on the flavor pretty much of whatever you mix with it and is super simple to make.  I had seen a recipe on the Chew (a TV show) for Roasted Pan Carrots and Farro.  I have changed it up simply because these were the ingredients in my pantry.

In a sauce pan bring 3 cups of chicken stock or water with 1 cup of farro to a low boil.  Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.  Drain and set aside.  You can add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste at this point.  Meanwhile in a pan with 3 tablespoons of olive oil saute 1/2 pound of cut on the bias carrots mixed with 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon of ginger.   When the carrots are soft take off the heat and mix with farro.  In a bowl whisk 1/4 cup of olive oil, 4 tablespoons of sherry vinegar, 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard and 1 tablespoon of honey then pour over farro and carrots.  Add 1/2 cup of nuts of your choice.  I used pumpkin seeds and the original used pistachio along with 1/2 cup of pomegranates seeds.  I forgot to add the chopped parsley but you could also had some steamed cooked chopped green beans for color.  Enjoy!     

Comments

diane b said…
I've never heard of faro. The medal looks and sounds delicious. My vegetarian daughter would love this.
Anonymous said…
Have not heard of this grain! Am always up to try new things:)
So true, the laundry never ends when kids are small. That's why I made it a point to teach them first how to fold their clothes and put them in their closet/drawers, and later how to do their laundry.
About your comment: Have the same as your mom, was deflated when we came in Holland to our favorite down town area of our last living place there, and I couldn't recognize a single shop!
Have a great weekend and see you soon for SEASONS:)

Popular Posts