Finding Hope in the Lantern Festival of Atlanta and Remembering September 11th

The significance of today has not been forgotten, the events of September 11th will always be etched in my memories as are they of millions of people around the world. While we haven't experienced something to this large of a scale since then, it seems like the news is reporting similar type violent attacks on innocent people way to often.  I often wonder are my children numb to these events because of the frequency?  I think they are and it breaks my heart because they think this is just normal despite my efforts to explain that this isn't the way we are suppose to walk through this journey called life. The words seem hard to express.  I have been sitting here at the computer and have really struggled for words. I do know something and that is I don't want to give up.  I want to fight and I do not want to except the events of that day or any of the events following that day as just normal.  I believe in humanity.  I have seen the good. There is so much goodness and love in this world.  We can't let them win. I have hope that one day we will all say enough is enough.  Love one another and respect one another. Yesterday, we attended the Lantern Parade in Atlanta.  It was so much fun and when you attend something like this it is easy to believe in hope as in attendance there where people from all walks of life.




Comments

To children I am sad to say it is the norm. They don't know the more innocent times. I grew up in the 50's which sounds very innocent. I worried about not having a bomb shelter because of the cold war and everyone talking about being attacked. At 8 I worried about the Russians bombing us. Very sad.
eileeninmd said…
Hello, we will never forget that day! I do wish for peace in the world. Great images of the kiddies and parade. The lanterns are so pretty. Great post. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!
Jeanna said…
The pictures well reflect your sentiment and I agree about humanity, Such a cool event to have yesterday. Loving the Yoda and Pacman lanterns.
Anonymous said…
Am glad you went to this lantern festival, because that is what we need to do with grief -reach out for hope!
We, who knew that there was a time before terrorism are the blessed ones. That is very natural to communicate thiswith the kids in our lives, because it belongs to our experiences of the world! And your children are blessed, because you can instill the values of love and hope in them:) Thank you for sharing your feelinsg with SEASONS - not easy to do! Have a hope filled week, Kelleyn:)
What a lovely series of photos :-)
betty-NZ said…
Great shots! If we would all teach the little ones the balance of good and bad life will be okay.
Ida said…
The lantern parade looks like a very special event. - So glad you still believe in the good in humanity. It does exist.
Ohmydearests said…
it is a beautiful festival. and yes, we should never think of horrific events as the norm...
Such fun lanterns! Our first Cmas (actually, not sure it was Cmas, but it was cold that's for sure) in Germany we attended a neighborhood lantern parade for Saint ??? I can't believe I've forgotten his name. Anyways, it was fun to participate in something new and different.

Popular Posts