Butterzoph

While the weekend was beautiful, today we woke up with grey skies again.  I am so done with winter!  I am so ready for spring.  I know it is on its way as I can tell from the hard time I am having breathing because of all the pollen in the air. I am praying the allergy medication kicks in soon.  I am ready for warmer weather, sunny days, being barefoot, picnics, fireflies, crickets chirping, and watermelon. We have some great adventures planned for this summer, but right now I am missing Europe.  It's my second home!  I feel just at much at home there as I do here in the states.  Last week I made some Butterzoph which is very similar to Challah.  It was so good!  The smell of the bread lasted all evening in the house.  It was heavenly and for the few moments, I enjoyed this bread it was like being back in Switzerland.

Butterzoph
I cup of warm milk
I Tablespoon of dry yeast
1 teaspoon of sugar
Warm milk and add yeast and sugar. Once the yeast is added in 1 whisked egg, 4 Tablespoons of melted butter. and a couple Tablespoons of honey.
Then add 1 teaspoon of salt
1 Tablespoon of lemon zest
1/4 cup of golden raisins (optional)
and 3 3/4 cups of bread flour.
Need the dough until smooth, but don't over knead as you will make the bread tough.  Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for about 2 hours.  When the dough has doubled in size divide the dough into three balls and roll out into ropes.  Braid the ropes  Again allow the bread to rise about 30 minutes to an hour.  It should be double in size! Preheat oven to as hot as you can get your oven too.  This step is important as it will help give your bread the lift it needs. Now brush with an egg wash made of one egg and a splash of water!   Now it is time for the bread to go into the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.  The bread should be golden brown.  Allow bread to cool and enjoy!




  

Comments

This looks perfect! I am craving some Zopf now - you can't get it in Sweden xx
Francesca said…
I'm convinced that bread tastes better when shaped as a braid!
nice, new layout here - i've been meaning to change mine too, but ... well, what's the excuse? i just haven't yet! :)

Popular Posts