Games "Corner view"

 
 
How do you like to go up in a swing,
      Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
      Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
      Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
      Over the countryside—

Till I look down on the garden green,
      Down on the roof so brown—
Up in the air I go flying again,
      Up in the air and down!
by Robert Louis Stevenson
 
When I was a child my days were filled with tag, hopscotch, handball, red rover red rover, who stole the bacon, swings, red light green light, digging in the sandbox, going down the slide not once not twice but over and over and over again.  We felt a sense of pride when we learned to cross over to the other side on the monkey bars.  We watched the clock for the school day to end.  Then we would head home to change our clothes, and head back to the play ground.  You couldn't keep us in!  We explored the creeks for tad poles and squished the mud between our toes.  We danced in the rain and made mud pies that were served to kings and queens.  What adventures we had with freckle covered  faces, skinned knees and if  our pants  didn't have a whole in the knee it was by some miracle.  What was your favorite game to play as a child?  

Comments

dawn said…
Did you "play" french skipping over here? Oh I loved doing that. I am trying to find a way to teach it to my girls cos I can't really remember it. When I go home this summer my sister and I will will have to teach them.
Shauna said…
My favorite game hands down was handball and chinese jumprope. Did you do chinese jumprope? It was so fun!!!!!!! This is a really cute post. Love it all,

Shauna xoxo
kat said…
How sweet post!
One of my favourites were dodgeball.
Unknown said…
That's one of my favorite poems! I would've been right there with you, exploring the creeks and squishing the mud!
Heather said…
I'm not familiar with "who stole the bacon" but I enjoyed all the others as a kid. I also loved 4 square and kick ball. Great times!
Darling photos and I LOVE that poem!!! Blessings and love! XO
Menthe Blanche said…
Swing, bicycles, roller skates, playing with Barbie, the playmobil, imagine being a hero of Star Wars, an alien, a singer, etc...were the games of my childhood! :)
Francesca said…
dolls and hide and seek!
shayndel said…
The poem reminds me of A.A. Milne poems I used to love to read to my daughter, love the spirit of play and the rhyme, with your happy photos and memories!
Enjoy!!♡
Annie said…
Absolutely!!!! We loved being outside and many times would not come home until dark:) Great post!

Popular Posts